Let me start with a disclaimer that I really hate pumpkin….. I really LOVE snickerdoodles though. My husbands FAVORITE COOKIE EVER is a snickerdoodle!! I mean HELLO how fun is that name?! I knew if I made these he would at least try them.
My SUPER picky 8 year old gave these a thumbs up too!! 🙂 I so rarely actually bake for my family just because anymore, so when I do it’s nice when they like it.
I really like this recipe, it’s not too sweet and the cinnamon and sugar on the outside gives it a little crunch. I have NEVER baked a cookie that called for cornstarch though… not sure if it’s added because of the pumpkin puree?
Since this was such a big recipe I am dropping some off with our friends and family for Halloween. I boxed them up with some cute decorated sugar cookies I made as well!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- Cream butter, sugars and egg yolk.
- Mix in pumpkin puree then vanilla.
- Slowly add all dry ingredients in sections, so it mixes throughly.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350*
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon. (I just eye the mixture… think about that yummy cinnamon toast grandma used to make!!)
- Use cookie scoop to make even sized balls, roll in hands, then sugar mixture. Place cookies on parchment paper lined baking sheets spacing cookies about 2-inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 12 – 14 minutes (they should look just slightly under-baked as they’ll cook slightly once removed from oven). Cool on baking sheet about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
I found this recipe via Pinterest and made just a few minor tweaks! She has some awesome photos if you need that. Click here for the original recipe!! http://www.cookingclassy.com/2014/10/pumpkin-snickerdoodles/
I hope everyone has a fun and SAFE Halloween!! I will post my DIY costume after Halloween! I am going to be Chewbacca…. haha it should be interesting.